Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Becoming a Student Again


I tell my students that drawing is scary.

But on Tuesday nights, I remove my teacher's persona, and I become the student. It's hard.

I'm taking a life drawing class at Otis. My teacher is my colleague. And I'm exposing to him (and all the world) a huge gap in my knowledge.











In a life drawing class we draw from a live nude model. Everything in a life drawing class feels vulnerable, including me.








When I walk into his class I need to be willing to be terrible. I can't be there with anything to prove.


Drawing is scary, I tell myself.
But in the end, it's just charcoal on a piece of paper.
And I'm better for it.


(These drawings are 3 to 5 minute poses from our second class meeting.)

2 comments:

Sherry Uribe said...

I admire your courage to be vulnerable and grow.

Jason Poole said...

Good!!